Wednesday, February 23, 2011

HOT TIP: Cutting Chipboard Using Cricut & Extending The Life of Adhesive Cutting Mats

If you find it hard to cut chipboard and other thick materials using your Provo Craft Cricut you are not alone. Despite the claims of Provo I just couldn't do it and so I became quite skilled with a craft knife as my chipboard just would not adhere to the cutting mat

Purchase both cans for less
when you shop Amazon.
The adhesive cleaning spray, Stick Away and repositionable adhesive spray, Stick & Sprayfrom Crafter's Companion was introduced to me by a very talented artist, Mary Wigham, of Wigham Designs. I haven't discovered any other product that does what these both do and I use plenty of spray adhesive. The most impressive is the mere 30 seconds it takes to spray then wipe the mats clean!


Anyhow, I never could cut chipboard with any of my Cricut machines, even when I "Duck" taped the board to the mat as one internet blogger suggests or used a thnner piece of board as Heather of Reflections recommended. I have, however, found that spraying my mats with Crafter's Companion Stick & Spray, which I fondly refer to as "Mary's Magic" has ensured a great cut. I do this with chipboard that is 1/8" to 1/4" thick and machine settings as is: 6 blade depth, med (3) speed with max (5) pressure using a regular blade with a single cut.

"Mary's Magic" has also ensured that I haven't had to purchase new mats in about 5 months, since I first purchased the Crafters Companion Stick Products and I have taught classes with the mats and am probably an above average user so this says a lot. Anytime my mat seems to lose grip I just spray my cleaner on after giving the can a good shake, wait about 30 seconds and wipe with a dry paper towel. Then I shake the adhesive and hold about 1.5" away and give a good coat of temporary repositionable adhesive spray. The mats can be used again and again until they get cut through or so thin they snap. I purchased the 5.9 oz. cans and they have lasted quite a long time for me. I should mention though I rotate about 6 mats so if you rotate less your spray may not last as long. If you use products such as glitter covered cardstock or inexpensive thin black paper that leaves behind fibers you will want to clean your mat after each use which of course will use up the spray faster.

If you are new to Provo Craft's Cricut and are interested in a brief Cricut Basics course please contact me for more information. I am certified with EK Success as a Scrapbook Design and Technique Instructor for Spotted Canary School and I am also formally trained in Cricut consumer education and have taught several courses for basic and advanced users. I would be happy to discuss how I can help you with Cricut, scrapbook tool use or design theory.

No comments:

Post a Comment