Monday, July 19, 2010

The Layout That Just Wouldn't End!!!

You ever find yourself working a layout or some other project and it seems like the entire universe is determined to keep you from finishing your page? When I scrapbook I can get very focused and I cannot recall maybe more than 2 or 3 times when I didn't finish a layout at the time I sat down to create it. In fact, I have been known to not sleep for several days straight when I am designing because I become that engrossed and fixated...sadly, this layout I began yesterday morning became one of those objects of obsession and the more involved I became the more the Scrapbooking Gods seemed to try and sabatoge me.

The goal? 1 photo on a 12x12 single layout that would utilize a specific piece of Bo Bunny cardstock with a "Back to School" or a "School Days" concept that would also tell the story of my daughter starting middle school 2 years ago. Easy right? I am sure most of you would whip this page out in your sleep! Oh no, not me, I formulate the plan of action and get a some what half a visual of the layout I want to make in my head, then I collect the desired papers with some inspiration embellishments and sit down to start...so I think.

First problem? The July/August Creating Keepsakes magazine catches my eye and for the hundreth time since I purchased it I need to flip through it again! Minor distraction at 5am but not a big deal. Next? I check out my Facebook page which leads to checking out other pages and blogs I follow...before I know it I am stumped on my layout concept and only able to mentally retrieve bits and pieces which do not add up to a 12x12 page with a theme. I rarely ever use sketches unless working a challenge or a specific project that I have been requested to utilize a sketch but in the end I finally turned to Page Maps using Becky Fleck's sketch on page 88 for a guide.

It seemed like every technique or idea I attempted I messed up...even things I do all the time...like sewing on a page for example. I do know that my sewing machine needle will not go through a glue dot on cardstock so why in the world was I shocked when that dot literally ripped the machine's needle right from the cradle!!! Oh and of course my error isn't enough, the machine could sense this I am sure because suddenly it begins jamming, tangling, TEARING!!! Come on. So what should take only minutes, takes hours (as I needed to take frequent breaks because the scrap therapy was causing me to want to seek therapy).

Uncharacteristic to me, I decide to use paper sticker letters for my title as I think this might just simplify things but it bores me. So I will Glossy Accent the stickers to dress them up and give them dimension. The fine tip is clogged and my tiny needle will not push through which means I need a larger needle...in the end, only the paper piercer would get the job done which meant no more fine tip. That is ok, I can still work with it as long as I am patient and neat. Well I delicately put the accents on each slim little letter and use one of my many pointed tweezers to wipe away any excess overflow and I set it aside to dry and firm up while I prep the grounding piece for the title. Guess what. Yeah, I did that backwards. The stickers needed to go onto the title background before I put the gloss on and so , yes, that is right, I had to start over the right way or spend forever tediously trying to cut out the sticker with an exacto knife. See...I knew all this just based on scrap experience & logic but could I get it together? Nope, I am self destructive apparently.

OK, so long, very long, long story short...it took me (including some breaks of course to talk myself down LOL) 30 hours straight to finish this layout. Are you kidding me??? I didn't sleep, I barely ate, I just scrapped. Which normally I would LOVE and say YES 30 hours straight, here are 5 or 8 layouts but just 1? And not even the most amazing layout there ever was????

Well it isn't amazing but it IS pretty good since it DOES tell all about my beautiful (now 13 years old) daughter and the story of her starting middle school. Also, she was delighted to wake up and find a new page about her with a story she could read. Well goal met...Layout over!
The "I Only Blinked" first day of middle school layout can be viewed in the next issue of Scrapbook News & Review Magazine to release on August 29. http://www.scrapbooknewsandreview.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment