Monday, July 19, 2010

A Tip & A Recycle for the Cricut Mat Covers

When I am creating a scrapbook layout, I like so many others like to get my papers & embellishments with photos and layout the design before doing any actual adhesions. Unfortunately this isn't always possible such as when using stickers or embellishments with adhesives or when coloring or doodling on a page. When something is irreversible or risks damaging the work I have already done I can get nervous about doing it and then having to figure a way to cover it later. So, I have begun using the old clear plastic Cricut Mat Covers to assist myself.

By taping a portion of the transparent piece on a work mat and leaving at least a corner free to lift so I can slide my pages, die cuts, cards, etc. under the mat I am able to adhere and doodle the items I am working on without worrying about ruining the piece. For example when using sticker letters I can lay them out on the top of the mat, slide the creation under the mat and experiment. In the photo below I show how I use the tip to develop the word placement with stickers only to find I need a larger die cut so they fit. Using my long bent tip craft tweezers and an exacto knife I can then lift the stickers back off the mat one at a time sliding them under the mat to the creation for permanence. Especially beneficial? You are able to still see the project "finished" but in layers as you work it out.

I enjoy taking my Sakura Pigma Micron Pensor my A and doodling on the layouts or the paper & chipboard embellishments I create but then sometimes after I have done this I feel as if I have destroyed my layout with one irreversible mistake. When I use the Cricut mat cover I can write on that over the creation and preview how things will appear. I feel the Cricut mat cover is the best choice (versus perhaps a transparency in my stock) because I know things are not likely to stick to it, I know a Slick Writer, or a Smooches  or a Stickles will adhere to give me an idea of the outcome and I am able to reuse & and recycle my scrap items...thus justifying how much I spend LOL.merican Crafts Slick Writer Pens

**Oh and please, if you have great tips that you haven't heard of others sharing before please, share them with ME I would love it.

Photo 1. Delicate stickers are placed on a Cricut Mat Cover where I discover (though I knew really) that the die cut is too small to hold my entire phrase. Photo 2& 3. Note the black pen markings around the edge of the inside pink heart in photo 2? I can see the affect but nothing is permanent, just lift the  mat and it all disappears. Also, to clarify for you, the entire top word & half of the bottom word in last two photos are under the mat while position & design continues to be tweaked.

No comments:

Post a Comment